In order to apply for a NEXUS Card, you need to complete an application form, provide the required documentation, attend an interview at an enrolment centre, and receive your card in the mail.
- First, gather your documentation.
- Then, complete and submit the application, either online using the TTP website, or by mail.
- Once your application has been conditionally approved, you will be able to book an interview at the nearest enrolment centre. If you are not eligible for a NEXUS Card, you will find out at this stage.
- Once you have attended an interview, and are approved, you will receive your NEXUS Card in the mail.
- You will need to activate your NEXUS Card before you use it.
You will need proof of identity and proof of citizenship or status. You should gather your documentation before you start the application.
An American or Canadian passport works as proof of identity and citizenship. If the passport is not American or Canadian, it can only be use as proof of identity. If you use your passport for both, we still recommend providing a second ID to be safe.
Proof of Identity
If you do not have a passport, you can get still a NEXUS Card, though it is not recommended because you will only be able to use it for driving across the border, not flying. The most common proof of identity that is not a passport is a Driver’s License. It must be a government-issued ID. Here are your options:
- driver’s license
- state or provincial photo ID card (not usable for online system).
Proof of Status (Citizenship/Permanent Residence/Temporary Status)
If you are an American citizen or a Canadian, you can use the following as proof of citizenship:
- American or Canadian passport
- state or provincial birth certificate
- Canadian citizenship certificate
- American certificate of naturalization
If you have status in the other country, you should provide proof of this as well, be it citizenship, permanent residence (see below) or temporary residence (see below).
If you are a permanent resident of one country, you will need to submit your Green Card or Canadian Permanent Resident Card as your proof of status in the country you reside in. Depending upon your nationality, you may have to provide proof of your temporary status in the other country as well (see below).
If you are a permanent resident of the US or Canada and require a visa to enter the other country, you will also have to provide that visa. If you have a work permit or study permit you need to provide that too. Acceptable proofs of status
- visitor visa to either the US or Canada
- work permit for either the US or Canada
- study permit for either the US or Canada.
Complete the Application
You can apply online using the TTP website or by downloading the paper application and mailing it in.
Note: Mailing in your application directly to CBSA or CBP takes significantly longer to get your conditional approval and you still have to complete an online profile with the TTP website to book your interview.
- First, create a login.gov account if you don’t have one already.
- Once you have your login.gov account, go to the TTP website.
- Click on “Get Started” unless you are in one of the following situations:
- You have already started your application on the TTP website. In this case, click “I’ve already started.”
- You are renewing your NEXUS Card. In this case, click on the “I’m already a program member” button.
- Click “Next” only if you do not meet any of the criteria to login.
Creating a login.gov ID
If you have ever applied for a NEXUS Card, a FAST Card or a SENTRI Card since October 2017, or used the US federal government’s login.gov system for any reason, you probably already have a login.gov account.
If you already have a NEXUS Card, and are just registering for your login.gov, you will need to provide your PASSID, which you can find on the back of your NEXUS Card.
In order to create your profile, you will have to provide:
- Email address
- Phone Number
The email address must be an email address you check regularly. CBSA and CBP staff will not call you, your application will be abandoned if you never book an interview.
You will have to create a unique username and password for TTP. You will also have to provide answers to 3 security questions. We recommend writing down this information in a secure place.
Completing the Application
Go to the TTP website.
There are many steps to completing the TTP NEXUS Card application online, not including registration (see above). You can save your information and log back in and finish the application at any time. Here are the steps everyone has to complete:
- First, you must agree to the terms of the site, every time you log in.
- Second, you have to choose the program you are applying for. In this case (NEXUS), you would select “Apply for a Trusted Traveller Program.”
- Next, you must have never applied before or provide your previous information (either your PASSID for your NEXUS membership, or information about your last application).
- There is a marketing survey question, next. You can just say “Other” if you are not sure where you heard about it.
- The first question you must answer as part of the actual application regards your US citizenship.
- The answer to that question determines whether or not you’ll be able to apply for programs other than NEXUS. Since this is a NEXUS application, you do not need to worry and you should just select “NEXUS” and agree to the condition that you must attend an interview.
- Once you have selected the program, you’ll have to provide personal information about your appearance.
- Next, you’ll need to provide any previous surnames you’ve used, or any nicknames you have used or currently use that aren’t obvious short-forms of your given name.
- On the next screen you’ll have to enter at least one phone number (a home and/or cell and/or work number). You will not be called – this information is for verification purposes.
- Next, you will have to prove your citizenship, by providing proof: first you must select your country of citizenship if you haven’t already and then you must select the appropriate proof of citizenship such as:
- US naturazliation certificate
- certificate of Indian status
- Canadian citizenship certificate (or card)
- passport (recommended)
- state or provincial birth certificate
- certificate of retention of Canadian citizenship.
- On the next screen, you will have to declare whether or not you are a Permanent Resident of the United States – this question is about your admissibility to the US.
- Next, you will have to prove your admissibility to the US, if you are not a US citizen. If you used a passport to prove citizenship, you can use it here as well, otherwise you’ll have to provide an alternate document.
- Next, you’ll have to prove that you are eligible to apply for NEXUS because of your residence.
- The next question is about your driver’s license, which is the primary way CBP and CBSA verify your residence in either Canada or the US.
- After inputting your valid license information, you will have to add your current residential address.
- If you have a different mailing address, you will also have to provide this. If you do not provide an address in Canada or the US that the card can be successfully delivered to, you may never receive your NEXUS Card.
- You must provide your complete address history for the last 5 years, if different. Gaps will result in either an application delay or the outright refusal of your application.
- After entering all your address information for the last five years, you’ll have to provide your current employment status. There are options for retired people, students, and children as well.
- After entering your current employment status, you’ll need to provide your past employment status for the last 5 years, if different.
- The second last question regards your travel history to countries other than Canada, the US and Mexico. You should note that some territories of other countries are listed as separate countries and some are not. If you cannot find the territory on the list, you will have to find the sovereign country that has dominion over that particular territory.
- The final question concerns your criminal and travel history. Answering “yes” to any of these questions will not result in an automatic refusal, but if you have to answer yes to one or more of these questions, you should make sure that you are prepared to explain the situation at the interview (and providing supporting documentation).
- Once you have finished entering information, the system will present you with a page on which you can see what you entered. The system will only catch certain errors, such as gaps in your address history or gaps in your employment history. It will not catch most typos and it will not catch any omissions on your part that fall outside of its very specific questions. Review this page extremely carefully. You are asked to “Certify” that everything is correct at the end, and a failure to submit correct information is grounds for refusal.
- After you have certified, you will be asked to accept privacy statements by both governments.
- Next, you will be given one last chance to cancel your application at which time you will be informed of the fee (provided this is an adult application).
- On the next page, you’ll have to agree to the fee (if applicable).
- In order to submit online, you will have to pay by AMEX, MasterCard or VISA and you must provide your Credit Card information at this time. If you do not want to provide credit card information through the system, you will have to apply by paper or through a third party.
- Finally, you will receive a confirmation of your payment. Print this information for your records.
Submitting the Application
Once you have completed the application, the system will ask you to confirm the information and point out any errors.
After you have “certified” your application, you will have to pay the fee of USD$50. You can only use approved credit cards.
We strongly recommend using the TTP website to apply for your NEXUS Card.
- First, you need to complete or print off the pdf form available from CBSA’s website.
- Next, you need to complete the paper application if you printed it off. If you completed it in your browser or on your desktop, you’ll have to print off the completed version.
- Once you have completed the application, you need to add your payment information (VISA, MasterCard or AMEX only) and sign the form.
Once you have double-checked your application for accuracy, you need to mail the form to one of the following offices:
|Residents of the United States and Canada
except Quebec and the Maritimes
|Residents of Newfoundland and Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Quebec|
Canadian Processing Centre
6080 McLeod Road
PO Box 126
ON L2E 6T1
400 Place d’Youville
QC H2Y 2C2
Once you have submitted your application online, either online or by mail, your application be reviewed by both the CBSA and CBP. This process can take some time.
- If you submitted your application using the TTP website, your account will be updated and you will receive an email notification.
- If you submitted your application by mail, you will receive a letter in the mail informing you of the need to set up a TTP account to book your interview.
Get Your NEXUS Card now
Save time and eliminate hassles while traveling.
We’ll review your application for accuracy and completeness and file it with the CBSA and US CBP.