What is login.Gov?
login.gov is the new US federal government online profile that allows both American citizens and non-citizens to access the US government’s various online services. It is relatively new and was rolled out for NEXUS Cards only in October 2017. You now need a login.gov profile to complete a NEXUS Card application, even if you are not a citizen or resident of the United States.
How to Get a login.gov Profile
The good news is that it’s really easy to get a login.gov profile! To start, you’ll only need the following things:
- an email address you check regularly
- a cell phone
It’s very straightforward after that. Make sure you have your email account open and your cell phone on. Ready? Let’s begin.
- Got to https://login.gov/
- Click on “Manage Account” in the top right corner
- Click on “Create Account” at the very bottom of the page
- Enter your email address and click “Submit”
- Go to your email account, and open the confirmation email. Click the big blue button that says “Confirm your email address”
- Create your password: find a random password generator site online, generate a password and copy it both into the field and into a place where you will be able to find it when you need it again. Click continue.
- Input your cell phone number and choose the option you would like to receive the code by.
- Once you have received the code, either by text or by automated phone call, enter it.
- Copy your temporary personal key and click “Continue.”
- Input your personal key.
Congratulations! You now have login.gov profile. Now you can apply for a NEXUS Card.
How do I Access my login.gov Profile?
You only need the profile to exist, so you can use the TTP website. You don’t really need to access your profile often, as there’s nothing in it.
You can access your profile at any time. You will need access to your email address and your phone. If you do not have one or the other, you should still be able to access login.gov using your phone or your email address.